JP Vossen on 23 Oct 2011 19:07:08 -0700

[PLUG] ZFS talk followup, other backup tools

(Sorry about the latency here. This refers the PLUG W meeting on 2011-10-17.)

Thanks to Lee for an interesting, detailed and well attended talk on ZFS! It was great.

We also discussed various other backup solutions. I guess I should quote the excellent and *highly recommended* _Backup & Recovery_ book by Preston from O'Reilly: "No one cares if you can back up--only if you can recover." I think we sometimes lose track of that...

I've been using BackupPC since at least 2007, probably right after I read _Backup & Recovery_ and it has saved my butt a number of times. Some old-ish but still good info: http://lists.netisland.net/archives/plug/plug-2007-09/msg00083.html

But I also wanted a more off-site solution. I first researched this in 2009 (http://lists.netisland.net/archives/plug/plug-2009-12/msg00007.html), but didn't really implement anything until 2011-01, when I ended up choosing Box Backup. I've never had to use Box Backup (though I've tested recovery) since that's my worst-case fail-safe. I also wanted free, and *not* in the cloud, the combination of which eliminates quite a lot of candidates.

I picked and an very happy with:
--------------------------------

BackupPC: http://backuppc.sourceforge.net/
"BackupPC is a high-performance, enterprise-grade system for backing up Linux, WinXX and MacOSX PCs and laptops to a server's disk. BackupPC is highly configurable and easy to install and maintain." [It does data de-duplication at the *file* level, and all backups always look like "full" backups in the web GUI, even if they aren't.]

BoxBackup: http://www.boxbackup.org/
"Box Backup is an open source, completely automatic, on-line backup system. It has the following key features: [...encrypted, delta only (like rsync), past versions, low overhead, much more.]"

Others:
-------

Duplicity: http://duplicity.nongnu.org/
"Duplicity backs directories by producing encrypted tar-format volumes and uploading them to a remote or local file server. Because duplicity uses librsync, the incremental archives are space efficient and only record the parts of files that have changed since the last backup. Because duplicity uses GnuPG to encrypt and/or sign these archives, they will be safe from spying and/or modification by the server."

Bacula: http://www.bacula.org/en/
"Bacula is a set of Open Source, computer programs that permit you (or the system administrator) to manage backup, recovery, and verification of computer data across a network of computers of different kinds. Bacula is relatively easy to use and efficient, while offering many advanced storage management features that make it easy to find and recover lost or damaged files. In technical terms, it is an Open Source, network based backup program."

Amanda: http://www.amanda.org/
"Advanced Maryland Automatic Network Disk Archiver, is a backup solution that allows the IT administrator to set up a single master backup server to back up multiple hosts over network to tape drives/changers or disks or optical media. Amanda uses native utilities and formats (e.g. dump and/or GNU tar) and can back up a large number of servers and workstations running multiple versions of Linux or Unix. Amanda uses a native Windows client to back up Microsoft Windows desktops and servers."

See also: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Free_backup_software

Later,
JP