JP Vossen on 24 Oct 2011 12:24:07 -0700

Re: [PLUG] ideas for class material

Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2011 18:58:44 -0400
From: Andrew Craig<axcraig@gmail.com>

wow what a great set of ideas.  Thank you.  You sent so much great
info, I need to read it over a few times!

Yeah, there is a lot of devil in all of those details...

I guess I should have mentioned it is only a 6 week course, albeit
accelerated.

I probably still would have had the same ideas. And it's all probably still too much for a single course. OTOH, I suspect that's all in a days work for a lot of folks on this list. Every bit of it is from my actual environment, and I still left some stuff out. :-)

Lamp, shell scripting, revision control (my paper for last class was
on git), backup, recovery and test, cron jobs. All of those would make
for a great class.

From that list, I'd argue for shell scripting. Any amount of effort you put into scripting will pay off 10x or more in the future, I guarantee it. And from that, cron is a trivial add-on, and basic revision control is not that much more. At least the basics of all of that are doable in 6 weeks. There are various LAMP-in-a-can setups, so that's less critical. And backup & recovery, beyond the very high level, tends to be pretty specific to the environment (needs, tools, resources, backup windows, etc.). But shell scripting applies anywhere, on Linux, Unix, Mac and more&more Windows [1]. You can't lose with that.

[1] Windows shell scripting is either painfully limited (cmd.exe), non-standard (KiXtart, AutoIT, NirCmd), or terribly verbose and IMO clunky looking (PowerShell or whatever they call it this week). Here's a little bit more: http://www.jpsdomain.org/windows/winshell.html

Really appreciate the time you took to put this together.

Happy to help.

Later,
JP