Rich Freeman on 8 Nov 2011 06:43:44 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Stop Helping Me!

On Tue, Nov 8, 2011 at 9:09 AM, Art Alexion <art.alexion@gmail.com> wrote:
> That's kinda the push behind virtual desktops on dumb terminals. I love the
> non persistent version where a new image is presented with each login. At
> that point, antivirus becomes obsolete.

You still have to deal with data, but of course data is easy to scan
for viruses and if you keep old versions cleaning up is relatively
easy as long as the problem doesn't get too out of hand.

That's also the model behind Chrome OS - the core OS just gives you a
web browser and uses secure boot so it is fairly tamper-proof.  Your
data of course is supposed to be in the cloud.  So, if something does
go wrong with your laptop you just go to the supply closet and grab a
new one and have the old one re-imaged (it will fail secure boot and
go into recovery mode, and you just insert a USB drive with a signed
image to re-image it - you can also force recovery mode using a
paperclip and a button).

It sounds like Fedora is moving in this direction as well with their
read-only /usr concept.  Once you have a read-only /usr it isn't that
big a deal to enable secure boot.