sean finney on 20 Nov 2011 02:50:37 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Incremental backup via cron

On Sat, Nov 19, 2011 at 04:51:35PM -0500, Casey Bralla wrote:
> I use a simple rsync script that dumps to a USB disk.
>
> rsync can be set to only backup changed files.  I also set it for renaming existing (older) files so I can go back in time if necessary).

rsync also has a really, really nice feature (--link-dest) that it can
hardlink existing files already copied and not changed, which if you're
doing frequent backups can save you lots of space/time, but at the same time
leave you with a browsable copy of the backup just like it was a one-time
rsync.  Just remember if you're making a new filesystem for this type of
backup you might want to tweak the inode:space ratio a bit higher, if you
use the feature heavily you might run out of inodes before you run out of
space :)

	sean