Jonathan DeMasi on 20 Nov 2011 18:23:49 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Run macbook pro with lid down

I have a little bit of light to shed on the subject.

With OS X still loaded on the Macbook, there is no chance to get it to remain awake with the lid closed.  The fans in MacBooks blow air out through the keyboard (or else they pull air through it, I'm not really sure).  That's the main reason why they go to sleep when you close the lid.  I was able to disable this behavior (not so much by choice) with Gentoo.  When I installed Gentoo on my MacBook, it remained on when the lid closed by default which led to overheating.

http://osxdaily.com/2010/04/15/how-to-use-a-macbook-or-macbook-pro-with-the-lid-closed-and-hooked-to-an-external-monitor/

Per this article, there is a way to beat the system if you're using an external monitor, but in the situation described it won't be of much help it seems.

Jonathan