LeRoy on 8 Dec 2011 03:39:58 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Lost gigabytes?

On 12/07/2011 02:38 PM, Adam Zion wrote:
> I recently had to rebuild my notebook computer from jump street. In
> doing so, I first set up a Windows 7 installation, w/unpartitioned
> space available. I then installed Fedora on the unpartitioned space.
>
> So far so good, right? Not quite. While gparted and Gnome's Disk
> Utility readily acknowledge that the partition scheme is like this:
>
> System reserved partition, 105 MB, NTFS
> Windows drive, 174 GB, NTFS
> Linux boot partition, 524 MB, ext4
> 145 GB physical volume shared w/145 GB extended volume, linux LVM/Extended
>
> a check of the size of / reveals only 45 GB drive space- I've lost 100 GB.
>
> Methinks it has something to do w/the odd 145GB/145GB partition that's
> listed last. But is there any way I could get rid of that w/o
> restarting everything from scratch yet again? GRUB's overwritten the
> Windows boot manager, which makes it much more complicated than simply
> deleting the odd partitions- doing that will brick the system.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> -Z

I think that the problem might be Grub.

I found this on http://thelinuxexperiment.com/tag/ext4/

Ext4

Ext4 is the next in the extended filesystem line and the successor to
ext3. This addition proved to be quite controversial initially due to
its implementation of delayed allocation which resulted in a very long
time before writes. However ext4 achieves very fast read time thanks to
this delayed allocation and overall it performs very well when compared
to ext3. Ext4 is slowly taking over as the defacto filesystem and is
actually already the default in many distributions (Fedora included).
Ext4 cannot be used on the /boot partition because of GRUB, meaning a
separate /boot partition with a different filesystem must be made.

- --
 Rev. LeRoy D. Cressy  mailto:leroy@lrcressy.com   /\_/\
                       http://lrcressy.com        ( o.o )
                       Phone:  215-535-4037        > ^ <
		       Cell:   267-307-3527

gpg fingerprint:  62DE 6CAB CEE1 B1B3 359A  81D8 3FEF E6DA 8501 AFEA

For info on enigmail:    http://lrcressy.com/linux/mozilla.pdf
For info on gpg:         http://www.gnupg.org/