Eric at Lucii.org on 13 Dec 2011 11:05:16 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Autostart application under xfce

I suspect that without the monitor that xfce does not start or does not start properly.  Xfree86 would scan for a monitor and fail to start if one was not there - Xorg is probably similar.

I have a headless and "X-less" system that needs a specific fetchmail run for each user when it starts.  I put the following shell code and put it in /etc/rc.d/rc.local to run after the boot was completed:

cd /home/e-smith/files/users
for USE in *
do
   if [ -f $USE/.fetchmailrc ]
   then
      if [ -e $USE/bin/fetch ]
      then
         su - $USE -c /home/e-smith/files/users/$USE/bin/fetch
      fi
   fi
done

You could specialize this for your purposes and avoid relying on X or xfce

Hope that helps.
Eric (Lucas)

On 12/13/2011 01:52 PM, Eric H. Johnson wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have a very odd problem with an xubuntu 10.04 system and running an
> application at log-on. This system runs headless, so it logs into a user
> account automatically and runs an applications as that user. When a monitor
> is attached it runs fine. If I disconnect the monitor, it appears that the
> applications does not start. I have also checked keyboard and mouse, but
> they have no effect, it clearly seems to be related to the monitor.
>
> I have checked dmesg and log files under /var/log but don't see any obvious
> entries indicating why the application did not start. I am speculating that
> the timing changes when no monitor is attached, and hence does not go
> through the monitor auto-detect, or perhaps takes longer in waiting for it
> to time out.
>
> The application is set to run from the auto-start applications of session
> monitor (xfce settings). I have tried changing the wait period under login
> settings, with no effect. The auto-start settings appear to be in the logged
> on user account under .config/autostart, but there does not appear to be any
> direct way of adjusting the priority (start order) or to introduce a delay.
>
> I guess I have three basic questions about xfce:
>
> 1> Is there another log file I should be looking at for error messages from
> auto-start?
> 2> Is there a way to adjust priorities or start order of auto-started
> applications?
> 3> Is there a way to introduce a delay before an auto-started program
> starts?
>
> Thanks,
> Eric

- --