Eric H. Johnson on 13 Dec 2011 11:52:04 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Autostart application under xfce

Eric, et al,

Here is a thread on the Ubuntu forum which addresses the same issue. Post
#13 indicates simulating a load with a few resistors. That looks like the
simplest solution under the circumstances.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1452600&page=2

Regards,
Eric

I suspect that without the monitor that xfce does not start or does not
start properly.  Xfree86 would scan for a monitor and fail to start if one
was not there - Xorg is probably similar.

I have a headless and "X-less" system that needs a specific fetchmail run
for each user when it starts.  I put the following shell code and put it in
/etc/rc.d/rc.local to run after the boot was completed:

cd /home/e-smith/files/users
for USE in *
do
   if [ -f $USE/.fetchmailrc ]
   then
      if [ -e $USE/bin/fetch ]
      then
         su - $USE -c /home/e-smith/files/users/$USE/bin/fetch
      fi
   fi
done

You could specialize this for your purposes and avoid relying on X or xfce