Matt Murphy on 15 Dec 2011 04:51:35 -0800
[Date Prev] [Date Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next] [Date Index] [Thread Index]
Re: [PLUG] I have had time to consider and may now comfortably hate Unity.
- From: Matt Murphy <email@example.com>
- To: "Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Subject: Re: [PLUG] I have had time to consider and may now comfortably hate Unity.
- Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2011 07:51:30 -0500
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=mime-version:in-reply-to:references:date:message-id:subject:from:to :content-type; bh=zBnXNfRj2+VKc8b7JuKGvZL08/M7BBulx906wQOMvtM=; b=uAsFAxrwuxWIScJIg++HuCf7UNTbCgaC0rOC5FIoA9//KlS5NPyq3zRo1P5Cdwh4x3 ioDjq9J64L0KJow0oZQG/YYJ6/6YYEL4OdHL2NOar7CvrECSBXkiVblJ2wvwT9kW5vBC z6vABtfgvVPxxAPnj58636ymUF1ZA8ouddta8=
- Reply-to: Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List <email@example.com>
- Sender: firstname.lastname@example.org
On Wednesday, December 14, 2011, Andrew Craig <email@example.com> wrote:
> On 12/14/2011 11:32 PM, Matt Murphy wrote:
>> I've been a consistent Gnome/Ubuntu user for 7 or 8 years now, and,
>> now that I've had a couple of months to let it sink in, I feel very
>> strongly that Unity and Gnome3 are mistakes. ÂWho wants a kiosk
>> interface for their desktop or laptop? ÂTouchpad, maybe. ÂBut with a
>> keyboard, it's just horrible. ÂApple envy is a terrible, terrible
>> So-called "Ubuntu Classic" is particularly infuriating. ÂWhat made
>> them think that we don't want a functional panel anymore? ÂXFCE is, as
>> always, very close to perfect execution -- I only lack something that
>> will keep that goddam trackpad's click settings from resetting every
>> time X restarts. ÂLXDE is very appealing (same problem with the
>> trackpad clicking), but I'm finding that the panel freezes when
>> executing some apps (if I don't do a nohup call to launch -- and it
>> can't survive a suspend operation without hanging). ÂKDE is, at long
>> last, slightly less of a lemon party than the current Gnome...
>> Congratulations, Trolltech, you have ascended the heights at last!
>> Enlightenment is actually rock solid (goddam touchpad issue, still) --
>> which sort of makes my head hurt... ÂBecause E is supposed to do
>> whacky things -- burn your toast and squirt you with lighter fluid --
>> while Gnome is supposed to just work. ÂWhich it doesn't anymore. ÂAt
>> least not on Ubuntu.
>> What are users of Gentoo and other distros seeing in their desktops these days?
>> Philadelphia Linux Users Group Â Â Â Â -- Â Â Â Âhttp://www.phillylinux.org
>> Announcements - http://lists.phillylinux.org/mailman/listinfo/plug-announce
>> General Discussion Â-- Â http://lists.phillylinux.org/mailman/listinfo/plug
> Try debian based crunchbang. Âvery nice. Âuses openbox.
> Philadelphia Linux Users Group Â Â Â Â -- Â Â Â Âhttp://www.phillylinux.org
> Announcements - http://lists.phillylinux.org/mailman/listinfo/plug-announce
> General Discussion Â-- Â http://lists.phillylinux.org/mailman/listinfo/plug
Philadelphia Linux Users Group -- http://www.phillylinux.org
Announcements - http://lists.phillylinux.org/mailman/listinfo/plug-announce
General Discussion -- http://lists.phillylinux.org/mailman/listinfo/plug