Matt Murphy on 15 Dec 2011 11:59:56 -0800
[Date Prev] [Date Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next] [Date Index] [Thread Index]
Re: [PLUG] I have had time to consider and may now comfortably hate Unity.
- From: Matt Murphy <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- To: "Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List" <email@example.com>
- Subject: Re: [PLUG] I have had time to consider and may now comfortably hate Unity.
- Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2011 14:59:51 -0500
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=mime-version:in-reply-to:references:date:message-id:subject:from:to :content-type; bh=Ag+qlTc7Fmit1LsuGksmzesxJ1Wtl1JxbjpWpjtcZ9s=; b=X1/neK5QJyCXbYBc10Yjp4e81HI+7gJJoRlvf4bTWE8QLBuozu6Ox9hRyQnS4Vuc8B /smcIFdSBV54QDGxvtOW1DwjrMgTo4u0tV5nfGtoICx8gIkxeEsm8UmEV7/UA5+ie9wD Zd2U/4WmQRYM8UGY7A2VFsr9uIpDNKHG9jKLo=
- Reply-to: Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Sender: email@example.com
I love the keyboard shortcuts! ÂBut by kiosk i mean that its big buttons that are more sensible as a touch interface. ÂI dislike search as menu and big button access literally covers too much real estate. ÂPossibly if i were a lean installation guy it wouldnt be so bad... ÂBut a tree built on thematic commonalities in small text/ graphics is a far less annoying way to present and find apps, IMHO. ÂThere were other things, but ive lost them in the "enh" of using the desktops that get less love.
Unity developer, eh? ÂI'd like to buy you a milwaukee's best ot possible even (shudder) a landshark.
Ill give you one thing (besides the shortcuts, which kept me going for a while)... ÂIt's pretty. ÂPretty enough that i really gave it a shot.
On Thursday, December 15, 2011, Alex Launi <firstname.lastname@example.org> wrote:
> I'm curious what your beefs with unity in the first place are. What do you mean a kiosk interface? I find unity to be hands down the best shell I've ever used. Faster, more intuitive, with great keyboard shortcuts that make my life wicked easy. And the stuff we've got brewing is unreal.
> *disclaimer* I work for Canonical on Unity.
> On Thu, Dec 15, 2011 at 10:15 AM, Austin Murphy <email@example.com> wrote:
>> > Anyone else have a fave distro/desktop combo?
>> I've been using Debian/Fluxbox for years now. ÂI'm very happy with it
>> because it mostly stays out of my way.
>> Key features:
>> Â- window overlapping
>> Â- scroll wheel on background to change virt desktops
>> Â- right click on background for full debian menu (with personal
>> favorites on the first list)
>> I use separate virtual desktops for Iceweasel, Claws Mail, and Pidgin,
>> and then have ~7 more filled with RXVT windows.
>> I've heard of other similar options, like ION, but I've never felt
>> compelled to try them.
>> Philadelphia Linux Users Group Â Â Â Â -- Â Â Â Âhttp://www.phillylinux.org
>> Announcements - http://lists.phillylinux.org/mailman/listinfo/plug-announce
>> General Discussion Â-- Â http://lists.phillylinux.org/mailman/listinfo/plug
> --Alex Launi
Philadelphia Linux Users Group -- http://www.phillylinux.org
Announcements - http://lists.phillylinux.org/mailman/listinfo/plug-announce
General Discussion -- http://lists.phillylinux.org/mailman/listinfo/plug