K.S. Bhaskar on 18 Dec 2011 12:19:52 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Linux distributions without version upgrades

My next two experiments were more successful, but neither has yet got
me what I need.

Arch Linux does not have a live CD/DVD.  There are a number of
derivatives, such as Arch Bang, and one intriguing derivative that I
may revisit some day, Chakra.  So I decided to create an Arch virtual
machine, and once successful, to move it to a spare partition on my
laptop (I configure PCs to have two root partitions).  I created the
virtual machine successfully and got a text mode virtual machine, but
no desktop.  I thought I did the right steps, but evidently I did not.
 The installation itself was straightforward.

Then I tried the Gentoo live DVD.  After a false start with a live DVD
that has a 64-bit kernel and 32-bit userland, I successfully booted
with the multi DVD for an all 64-bit Linux.  Both live DVDs booted
first time around and worked as advertised.  Installation to the hard
disk was a snap, although not as simple as Ubuntu, and I am writing
this report booted into KDE on Gentoo.  However... emerge bombs every
time, and I have not been able to figure out how to untangle the
failing dependencies (the output is voluminous and it's not clear
where the first / original / primary error is).

At this point, I am probably done with this weekend's experimentation
(and a pile of projects around the house that I had every intention of
getting done this weekend!).

Thanks for all the advice.  I'll keep you posted with further results.

Regards
-- Bhaskar