K.S. Bhaskar on 16 Dec 2011 08:24:48 -0800

[PLUG] Linux distributions without version upgrades

To break the twice a year song-and-dance of Ubuntu upgrades while
retaining the ability to stay current with applications, I am
considering switching to a Linux distro that doesn't need version
upgrades.  My choices seem to be:

Debian Unstable - this would feel very comfortable because I am a
long-time Debian / Ubuntu user and I am familiar with package
management.  But... Debian Unstable does temporarily break from time
to time, and I am trying to find a slightly better balance between
stability and life on the leading edge.  I suppose I could experiment
with installing Debian on btrfs which would allow me to snapshot /
rollback.

Arch Linux

Gentoo Linux (perhaps via Sabayon where I can validate hardware
compatibility with a live DVD before I install).

Any words of wisdom, advice and caution greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

Note that Ubuntu upgrades are (usually) quite smooth.  It's just that
between home and work, I have multiple machines, and would like to
simplify things.

Regards
-- Bhaskar

--
Windows does to computers what smoking does to humans