K.S. Bhaskar on 16 Dec 2011 16:30:09 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Linux distributions without version upgrades

Thanks for the opinions and advice, all.

My first experiment - Sabayon Linux 7 AMD64 - was a bomb.  The live
DVD booted to give me my boot options, but failed to boot the KDE
desktop on a Dell m6600 laptop.  Asking it for the messages while
booting showed that it was in a permanent loop trying to run (or kill)
alsactl.  I tried booting without boot music with the same result.  On
an older laptop, the KDE desktop appeared to hang, but a Ctrl-Alt-Del
allowed it to finish booting into a KDE desktop.  The three fingered
salute did not work on the m6600.

Regards
-- Bhaskar

--
Windows does to computers what smoking does to humans