JP Vossen on 20 Dec 2011 01:18:41 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Linux distributions without version upgrades

Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2011 20:47:56 -0500
From: Scott Budihas<budihas@gmail.com>

Have you tried the PPAs for some of those packages?

No. I was aware that some existed, though I never got around to coming up with a list. Thanks! I also would have sworn I looked for Liferea and didn't find it...

https://launchpad.net/~mozillateam/+archive/firefox-stable

https://launchpad.net/~mozillateam/+archive/thunderbird-stable

https://launchpad.net/~libreoffice/+archive/ppa
for LibreOffice on Lucid you have to remove OpenOffice packages

https://launchpad.net/~liferea/+archive/ppa

I have been using these (except liferea) with no issues. You get
security updates too. There are many other PPAs out there but these are
by the same packaging teams that handle the newer releases so I am
assuming these are safe.

That's a great list, I'll try them when I have a few moments...

Thanks,
JP