Chad Waters on 23 Dec 2011 07:53:43 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Linux distributions without version upgrades

On Fri, Dec 16, 2011 at 12:05 PM, Walt Mankowski <waltman@pobox.com> wrote:
> I've been running plain old Debian Testing for years. If you use the
> apt-listbugs package (which checks for outstanding critical bugs in
> each package before upgrading) you can stay pretty current while
> avoiding most of the bleeding edge issues.
>
> Walt

I now I'm coming in way late in this conservation, but I second Walt's
suggestion.

I am a longtime Debian Sid user (ok, I recently came back after a 3-4
year fling with ubuntu). I've never had a devastating breakage, but
maybe some annoyances that I worked through. Usually the most visible
are incompatibilities with incoming xorg upgrades and any video driver
you may use.

The testing repository generally gets the new stuff filtered down from
Sid a week or two after the guinea pigs like me do some "quality
control".

As an example, check the "testing migration" info here to see why
testing hasn't gotten firefox/iceweasel 9 yet:
http://packages.qa.debian.org/i/iceweasel.html

And as Walt said use apt-listchanges and apt-listbugs.