Rich Freeman on 29 Dec 2011 10:03:01 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Nouveau. Was Linux distributions without version upgrades

On Thu, Dec 29, 2011 at 12:30 PM, Casey Bralla <MailList@nerdworld.org> wrote:
> Anybody have any experience with the Nouveau drivers? I've been using the
> nvidia drivers for ages and would like to make the switch. Anybody have any
> comments?

I've been ATI since earlier this year.  What I do remember from before
that was that NVIDIA tends to drop support for older cards in newer
drivers - they maintain multiple stable version families.  So, be sure
to check compatibility before you upgrade, and if X11 is important to
you make sure you have VESA drivers/etc available.  I'm not sure how
automagic this is on other distros, but on Gentoo you'll want to mask
the newer driver families if your board doesn't support them (then
you'll get updates only up to the limit you set).

Rich