MailList on 7 Jan 2012 07:41:44 -0800

[PLUG] Need Help with TCPDump

I bought one of those goofy internet clocks (http://www.myixp3.com/home/) and
despite a few problems, have been able to get my messages sent to it via the
company's web page or eMail.

However, being one who will never leave anything working alone (I have an
unsatisfiable desire to "improve" things! <grin>), I want to hack this little
bad boy.

I have not found anything published on the protocol for the clock, so I
thought I'd just sniff the network stream and  figure out what it's doing.  I
can tell from my DHCP server that it's getting a lease at 192.168.1.200.  I
therefore tried this command on my firewall.

tcpdump -i eth1 host 192.168.1.200

I then used the web page to successfully send a message to the clock.

Oddly, I'm not getting anything recorded by tcpdump.  If I drop the host
portion and just grab everything, the address of the clock never shows up.

Could somebody suggest what I'm doing wrong, or some other approach that might
let me figure out how this thing communicates?

Ideally, I want to be able to directly send messages to the clock, without
using the company's web service.
--

Casey Bralla
Chief Nerd in Residence