JP Vossen on 9 Jan 2012 19:17:21 -0800

Re: [PLUG] xp client remote to ubuntu/kde

Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2012 15:38:59 -0600 (CST)
From: Ron Kaye Jr<rekaye1005@verizon.net>

  xp laptop downstairs

ubuntu server with kde upstairs
working thru a breathing disability so stairs are a&$%&**

use putty and winscp (my favorite) for most business

want to mess around with apache web
can i remote from an xp client and see my graphical ubuntu 10x server?

I see lots of other answers to this, including some "duh" moments, but I wanted to toss out the Gnome/Unity answer. I know Ron is asking about KDE and that is is already answered, but I thought a "for the record" Gnome answer might be useful.

I "remote control the Ubuntu console GUI" from WinXP using built-in stuff on the Ubuntu side and 'TightVNC Viewer' on the WinXP side.

Windows side: go find one of the gazillion *VNC* tools and install it.

Ubuntu side:
* Classic Gnome: System > Prefs > Remote Desktop > "Allow others..."
* Unity: Search for "remote" then click on "Desktop Sharing" > "Allow others..."

This has Just Worked for me since Ubuntu 10.04 and probably longer. It had problems in either 6.x or 8.x, I forget now. I'm pretty sure KDE has the equivalent but I don't know what it is.

Later,
JP