Michael Leone on 12 Feb 2012 08:30:28 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Gremlins in the Machine

On Sun, Feb 12, 2012 at 9:38 AM, Art Alexion <art.alexion@gmail.com> wrote:
> Gremlins in the Machine, or maybe there wasn't enough dust on it before.
>
> As a promise to a co-worker, and because I needed some stuff off of the
> machine, I decided to fix my Linux desktop which hadn't been booted since
> the summer of 2010.

1. Turning on hard that hasn't been powered on for over a year is
never a good idea.
2. Doing things for other people - also never a good idea. LOL

> A kernel and/or grub update that summer mis-identified
> the boot drive so grub kept failing.  I could't get to the raw files with a
> boot CD because I had put "/" on an LV and wasn't familiar enough with LVM
> to manually mount the LV volume.

That's one reason why I never use LVM - if it screws up, I don't know
enough to even try and fix it myself ...

> the HD again just to refresh my memory on the error.  It just booted fine.
>  Just fine.

The sacrificial goat and chickens account must have cleared ...