Michael Leone on 23 Feb 2012 06:36:54 -0800

Re: [PLUG] NTP rant

On Thu, Feb 23, 2012 at 9:12 AM, Art Alexion <art.alexion@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Feb 22, 2012, at 2:41 PM, Michael Leone wrote:
>
> And if you're running an Active Directory domain, any domain
> controller (DC) is a NTP provider for pretty much anything that asks;
> no need for any other local source. AD is very sensitive to time (and
> DNS) changes.
>

> The time on the DCs is wrong and not even synced with each other.

Really? You've got a really worrisome Active Directory domain, then,
especially if your DCs aren't syncing with each other ... Me, I'd fix
that domain first (and quickly), and then just let all the other
clients (Windows and Linux) just get their time from whatever DC has
the PDC emulator role, rather than introduce yet another server into
your mix to do something that your current servers should be doing.
YMMV ...

AD gets very, very unhappy if it's timestamps don't match between DCs.