Sam Gleske on 3 Mar 2012 18:10:17 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Jerky Behavior During I/O

On Sat, Mar 3, 2012 at 8:26 PM, Casey Bralla <MailList@nerdworld.org> wrote:
On Saturday, March 03, 2012 07:28:13 PM Sam Gleske wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 3, 2012 at 6:22 PM, Casey Bralla <MailList@nerdworld.org> wrote:
> > Does anybody else have this problem?
> >
> > Whenever my disk or network is doing a large data transfer, the desktop
> > "jerks" (ie: it freezes for a very short time, then unfreezes, then
> > freezes,
> > unfreezes, etc)
>
> Do you have any network mounts such as mounting the /home directory over
> network?

Yes.  I mount quite a few drives via NFS.  All my data is stored on mounted
drives.

Do  you think that could cause this?

That would be one possible source of the problem.  I'm not sure how you could test it.  I followed a discussion on LinuxQuestions.org which involved synced/shared homes and latency was an issue with hangups on shared drives.

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-server-73/your-thoughts-on-shared-synced-homes-nfs-afs-rsync-puppet-906084/

There's the discussion.

SAM