Rich Freeman on 19 Apr 2012 03:58:17 -0700

Re: [PLUG] large email volume for comcast user

On Thu, Apr 19, 2012 at 12:49 AM, Julien Vehent <julien@linuxwall.info> wrote:
> Is comcast really going to count the number of SMTP connections he opens to
> other SMTP servers every months ? That seems silly.
> Are you sure the outbound limit isn't just limited to comcast.com addresses
> ?
> I'm pretty sure that, if you run your own MTA, comcast's limit won't apply.

If he runs his own MTA from a consumer IP range most of the big ISPs
are going to block his email.  I don't like that, but there isn't much
to be done about it.  The fact is that for every person like one of us
that wants to run his own MTA there are 100k infected windows machines
on some botnet sending out spam at full throttle.

Plus, some ISPs block outgoing connections to port 25.

I'd consider Amazon's AWS Email Service:
http://aws.amazon.com/ses/

Looks like they charge a dime per 1k emails.  They also have multiple
APIs you can use which means that you could get around outgoing SMTP
blocks.  I haven't used them, but do use other AWS services and in
general they tend to work well.

Rich