Rachel Rawlings on 27 Apr 2012 19:20:41 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Upgrading to Ubuntu 12.04

Unity was fine in 11.10, I thought, much improved from 11.04. I've just upgraded my Phenom II desktop and my netbook to Precise and have seen a couple problems.

First, the normal application search that was integrated into the unity dash (what pops up when you press the super key) seems to be broken, or need indexing. I was not able to find xchat in the dash even though it worked with alt-F2.

Second, the default keystroke to open the HUD, which for unfathomable reasons was assigned to alt-L, didn't work. I had to go into the keyboard settings.and change.it to super-H.

Finally, I found an odd bug in the desktop, on which I used to have a Japanese keyboard. The unity greeter only offered a Japanese keyboards in the indicator panel, even though I had a US keyboard attached. I had to log into a shell and change my password in order to log into the X session, than change the keyboard layout /twice/, before and after rebooting.

So far Unity in 12.04 seems like a downgrade from 11.10 but once past these hassles I can get to ctrl-alt-T a new shell window. ;)