Ron Kaye Jr on 3 May 2012 18:38:32 -0700

Re: [PLUG] When M$ wants things done right...

 but a choice for better can expose the co to greater vulnerability
re manpower

i can find many (cheaper) win server/active directory types
 far less linux capable people

i do both, but i can see both points of view

of course, windows is a cover your butt decision for the (often) non tech mgr
then again, it is decided by the "app" vendor

 Ron Kaye Jr
914-7294734

On 05/03/12, Julien Vehent wrote:

On 2012-05-03 14:02, jeff wrote:

> they rely on linux.

http://arstechnica.com/business/news/2012/05/skype-replaces-p2p-supernodes-with-linux-boxes-hosted-by-microsoft.ars
> [1]
>
> [silent snickering enabled]

They lost the server battle years ago.
Seriously, when was the last time you heard an IT manager say: I just got a
quote from microsoft for our new web server and database farm (although,
sqlserver is actually pretty good. they must have bought it).

Microsoft knows that. They lost that one. They're trying not to lose the
mobile war now.

Funny thing is, back in 2004 I was trying to install a fedora/samba in a
french public administration, and I almost got fired for it. They were glued
to their NT4 and 2000 servers, didn't want to learn something else.

So, Yeah, That's Good Stuff !

--
Julien Vehent - http://1nw.eu/!j