Rich Freeman on 24 May 2012 07:49:05 -0700

Re: [PLUG] toy story2 nearly lost with rm*

On Thu, May 24, 2012 at 6:48 AM, Gary Duzan <gary@duzan.org> wrote:

>   Moral of the story? Keep backups of things you care about, and
> be careful when working with sharp knives.

Seems like the sharp knives are half the problem.  It seems like linux
filesystems should just incorporate some kind of optional undelete
feture - just mark files as deleted and then only overwrite them when
space is needed, or after some kind of delay.

When btrfs comes along I guess we can all have our shapshots every 15
minutes, and that will help.  Delete a file, just do a cp
/autosnaps/2012/05/24/10/45/path/to/file . .

Rich