Doug Stewart on 24 May 2012 07:55:05 -0700

Re: [PLUG] toy story2 nearly lost with rm*

On Thu, May 24, 2012 at 10:48 AM, Rich Freeman
<r-plug@thefreemanclan.net> wrote:

> Seems like the sharp knives are half the problem.  It seems like linux
> filesystems should just incorporate some kind of optional undelete
> feture - just mark files as deleted and then only overwrite them when
> space is needed, or after some kind of delay.
>
> When btrfs comes along I guess we can all have our shapshots every 15
> minutes, and that will help.  Delete a file, just do a cp
> /autosnaps/2012/05/24/10/45/path/to/file . .

*NIX systems have always treated their users as (mostly) competent
adults. If you want to really hose your system, there's nothing
stopping you (given proper credentials, that is).

Down the other path lies the iOS walled garden, which has its place in
devices of a certain type, but I'll take the Big Boy Pants for my main
machines, thankyouverymuch.

--
-Doug