Doug Stewart on 8 Jun 2012 09:45:56 -0700

Re: [PLUG] I need a book recommendation

On Fri, Jun 8, 2012 at 12:24 PM, Jay Dobies <jason.dobies@redhat.com> wrote:
> On 06/08/2012 12:22 PM, Doug Stewart wrote:
>>
>> If we're going to go the Stephenson route, there's nary a book of his
>> that I wouldn't recommend (at least those penned under his own name.)
>>
>> Snow Crash is a definite favorite of mine, as is Diamond Age. I'm in the
>> minority, but I loved Anathem. I'm only a third of the way through
>> REAMDE, but liking it. And I never did finish the third Baroque Cycle
>> book...
>

> I'm one of the few geeks who just doesn't get Stephenson. I want to try Snow
> Crash again but I hated Cryptonomicon. It felt like 100 pages of story
> stretched out into 800 pages of fluff.

That's definitely a position I can respect. I think it's something to
do with his OCD-esque prose at points. He focuses on details that
might seem trivial (Proper Methodology For Eating Cap'n Crunch comes
to mind) but that appeal to a certain strain in some folks. I read
those sections and think "Well played, good sir." while others think
"What a waste...!"

--
-Doug