Gavin W. Burris on 8 Jun 2012 11:27:38 -0700

Re: [PLUG] I need a book recommendation

If you liked Snow Crash, I recommend these two books that recently blew
my mind:
Rainbows End - Vernor Vinge
Accelerando (Singularity) - Charles Stross

Cheers.

On 06/08/2012 12:22 PM, Doug Stewart wrote:
> If we're going to go the Stephenson route, there's nary a book of his
> that I wouldn't recommend (at least those penned under his own name.)
>
> Snow Crash is a definite favorite of mine, as is Diamond Age. I'm in the
> minority, but I loved Anathem. I'm only a third of the way through
> REAMDE, but liking it. And I never did finish the third Baroque Cycle
> book...
>
> --
> Doug Stewart
>
> On Jun 8, 2012, at 11:55 AM, Paul Walker <starsinmypockets@gmail.com
> <mailto:starsinmypockets@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>> Just finished Snowcrash by Neal Stephenson... cyberpunk classic that
>> talks a lot about internet proliferation, 'virtual reality'/advanced
>> UI topics, information architecture, software design, languages as
>> virus etc - good fun. Once you open the scifi door, there's really
>> just so much good relevant stuff.... I liked Cuckoo's Egg because it's
>> very "on topic" from a Unix sysadmin perspective..
>>
>> Paul
>>
>> On Fri, Jun 8, 2012 at 11:25 AM, Doug Stewart <zamoose@gmail.com
>> <mailto:zamoose@gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>>     I might also recommend "Daemon" by Suarez for pulpy spec-fic.
>>

>>     --
>>     Doug Stewart
>>
>>     On Jun 8, 2012, at 10:09 AM, Julien Mills <julienfmills@yahoo.com
>>     <mailto:julienfmills@yahoo.com>> wrote:
>>

>>>         I read this book when I was a teenager and it made me want to
>>>         learn Unix.  I studied philosophy in college but taught
>>>         myself Unix on the campus aix system at Carolina when I was a
>>>         student there.  The funny thing is I didn't do anything with
>>>         my philosophy degree but now I do Linux webserver security as
>>>         a career.  Go figure.
>>>
>>>     Any other books, required reading for geeks, anyone can recommend?

Gavin W. Burris
Senior Systems Programmer
Information Security and Unix Systems
School of Arts and Sciences