Lee H. Marzke on 21 Jun 2012 12:05:45 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Recommend: cheap server suitable for virtualization?

Server class  hardware often has faster memory/buss, disks, etc.
The CPU speed doesn't matter so much.

I've picked up used rack-mount servers on Ebay that perform very well
as ESXi hosts running a dozen or more VM's (with 32GB RAM).   You may get
more for your money with used hw than new consumer grade boxes.

I see Dell 2950's with 4G and minimal disk for $350,  but
you would need more RAM and disk than that.