Pat Barron on 21 Jun 2012 08:18:19 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Recommend: cheap server suitable for virtualization?

On 06/21/2012 10:23 AM, Michael Leone wrote:
I'd think that "monetarily cheap but doesn't work effectively enough to be useful" doesn't qualify as "server"; that would qualify more as "expensive lesson" ... or maybe "penny wise, pound foolish", as the old saying goes ..

Sure - that's why I also agree that an Atom-based system is a non-starter here.

But I did see, for instance, a Phenom II X3 system with 8 GB of RAM and 500 GB of disk for about $310 (less than that after $40 rebate), that would probably be decent, at least for running a couple of VMs (again, depending on exactly what one would be trying to do with it)...

(Regarding the Newegg deal that Gary posted about - in the benchmark numbers I've seen, the Phenom II processors seem to do better than the FX processors, so I tend to prefer the former...)

--Pat.