Eric H. Johnson on 6 Jul 2012 07:13:15 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Linux friendly tablet?

> I don't think it is a technical issue as much as a preference to not
> be held hostage to Apple's walled garden.

>>Sure, but that has nothing to do with Linux. If you don't want an IOS
device because of how Apple restrict applications, that's fine by me - Could
still run Linux under the hood, and you'd have the same problems.
Isn't 99% of what Android runs actually inside a JVM anyway?

My general aversion to Android is the frequency of major OS updates and
inconsistency of when vendors support each release on their own device.
It's like the old days when I had a Blackberry and had to get the AT&T or VZ
specific code update for it, which was usually months later than what RIM
released. Maybe it's getting better with Android 4.x, but there were plenty
of people at my office complaining about the 2.x to 3.x transition. <<

That it has nothing to do with Linux was exactly my point. Not to presume to
speak for JP, but I personally avoid Apple simply because of the Ts and Cs,
and even if it were better by any technical measure.

Regards,
Eric