Conor Schaefer on 6 Jul 2012 08:11:25 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Linux friendly tablet?

On Fri, Jul 6, 2012 at 11:02 AM, Rich Freeman <r-plug@thefreemanclan.net> wrote:
On Fri, Jul 6, 2012 at 10:33 AM, Eric at Lucii.org <eric@lucii.org> wrote:
> The Galaxy Nexus sounds great. ÂI see I can get it from Verizon for $149 with a 2-year contract (AKA: enslavement agreement.) ÂI can get it direct from Google for $349 - but it's GSM only. ÂDecisions, decisions.

I was just doing comparision shopping, and if you're willing to forgo
the phone subsidy you can get 4 lines of unlimited voice+text and 2
lines with 2GB of data (with no overage charges - just throttling
above that) from T-Mobile for $100/month. ÂBy my math that is a
savings of $50-100/month that you can put towards phones compared to
most plans. ÂThe math might not be as close if you have fewer lines,
but for a single line their plans can be fairly cheap.

I pay $40/month to T-Mobile, on a month-to-month contract, for unlimited data. No calling or texting (unless you use Google Voice for SMS and VOIP), but that's a damn fine deal, I say. Â

I'm thinking about going that route so that I don't end up with
debates over whether I should get the cheap phone offered by the
carrier or the better one offered elsewhere.

The downside is that if you don't want the Nexus but you want a
flagship phone, you could be close to $600 up-front for that.
However, it usually still works out long-term. ÂKeep in mind the
carriers aren't giving you the phone to be nice, so they're making
money on the subsidy somehow...

The Galaxy Nexus is currently $350 brand new from Google: https://play.google.com/store/devices/details?id=galaxy_nexus_hspa

Amazon has the Nexus S (previous generation, very similar hardware) for $329.99 new. Don't forget about swappa.com for good-condition Android devices, too.

Rich