JP Vossen on 6 Jul 2012 23:15:05 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Linux friendly tablet?

Giant reply to this thread...  Many thanks to all those who replied!

Bottom line, it looks like I was operating under a mistaken assumption that you would at least sometimes need to plug a tablet into a "real" computer to "do stuff" (like my TomTom example or an MP3 player or camera). The more I think about that the less sense it makes, but at the time... What can I say?

Otherwise, thanks for all the input, I've learned a lot from this.

Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2012 06:56:03 -0400
From: Rich Freeman <r-plug@thefreemanclan.net>

Well, the Nexus 7 is just coming out at $199, so it obviously makes
sense to take a look at that.  The Kindle Fire is also popular but is
less of a traditional Android experience.  I know somebody who is
happy with a Galaxy Tab,  ...

I've heard of those. The Fire sounded interesting, but also non-traditional, as you say.

I've been struggling with what I'd use it for too. I probably won't use it for anything, but as I said my wife has some good ideas for one. (Though I have to say, the app lists from Julien & Jeff are quite interesting.)

Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2012 07:40:02 -0400
From: David Coulson <david@davidcoulson.net>

What about it needs to be  'Linux friendly'?

See? There's my mistaken assumption! I though I'd have to plug it in and I want to make sure it actually worked (iPods, I'm looking at you!).

Short of rooting an android
device, the fact that it runs Linux has nothing to do with the usability
or functionality of the device. If you buy consumer devices because of
what kernel they run, you're probably going to end up disappointed. IOS
uses a BSD variant, so it's not like it is worlds apart from Android.

I'm a Linux guy, and I have an iPad - IMHO, superior user interface and
in general it's more consistent than Android. That said, I don't really
care what it's running under the hood - As long as it works for me 100%
of the time so I can get my job done with it, I'm happy.

I hear that a lot when I poke at folks who bring Apple devices to PLUG meetings, and I have to disagree and invoke ESR again with: http://esr.ibiblio.org/?p=4441.

Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2012 09:15:33 -0400
From: "Eric H. Johnson" <ejohnson@camalytics.com>

> I don't think it is a technical issue as much as a preference to not > be held hostage to Apple's walled garden.

Largely that, partly that I hate the Mac interface (much less relevant on a tablet, but there it is), partly I was thinking you had to plug it in, and an iDevice is gonna want an iComputer, and a lot of what ESR said above.

> I am not sure what you consider inexpensive ...

I'm not either, that's part of why I asked, though the Linux compatibility non-issue makes this a less list-relevant question than I thought it was... :-)

Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2012 09:26:11 -0400
From: Julien Vehent <julien@linuxwall.info>

> I got one for those LePan 2 a couple months bacK ...

Ha, out of stock for the moment at least.

>> * Video creator (hate to admit it, but iMovie is pretty awesome)
> On a tablet ? Haven't tried. Video creation is usually something I
> want horsepower for.

A friend used iMovie on an iTablet of some kind (yeah, I appreciate the irony) to create a really cool "adventure movie trailer" for the kids on a lake in about 5 minutes. It looks really, really awesome. And it took 5 minutes, I watched him do it...

Aldiko. MX player. Open Street Map. Downloadable locally via Osman
to go on trips. 3D google earth. dropbox. k-9 mail. Firefox. IMDB.
sketch ndraw. amazon Kindle app. Hell, it even has Skype!

Awesome, thanks!