jeff on 7 Jul 2012 10:21:14 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Linux friendly tablet?

On 07/07/2012 02:14 AM, JP Vossen wrote:
Bottom line, it looks like I was operating under a mistaken assumption
that you would at least sometimes need to plug a tablet into a "real"
computer to "do stuff"

they plug in ok. I do it for backup. Think carefully about backup. Google has a built-in backup, if you like that sort of thing. You know how much I love the CLOUD. With their backup, you can log into a new device and have your programs there, which is admittedly nice.

Should you find yourself in the `hood, you're welcome to `demo' mine.
Video editing should be limited to the cloud services.

More great stuff!  I've read about some on your blog.  But... Winamp?  :-)

That was based upon sheer hopefulness. I loved it on a lesser OS but started playing with it last night. Kinda boring, actually. I take it back. Will wait for VLC (early beta now).

Apparently I'm a flipping weirdo (no, really?). I do not want my music MANAGED, I want it PLAYED. Most players are extremely HELPFUL, in that they locate and manage the music. I want to point to a directory and say PLAY THAT, with the option of shuffling it.

--> OH YEAH - android ain't linux.
I really wanted it to be but it's way more frustrating and invasive. On my machines, I have a great deal of control over when and why things start up. On my tablet and phone, stuff starts up on its own, for no good reason. Unless I root, I cannot have executive control over this behavior (and even then....).

As you would imagine, I turn off GPS and all location services. Yet my GPS app randomly starts running sometimes. I used a great email client called K9 which would run almost all the time, in spite of the fact that I manually retrieve email.

And you know about anything Google.

The latest android version (Ice Cream Sandwich) has the ability (under APPS) to shut down and disable most of the apps, including crapware. Here's a tip: don't disable the wallpaper service or things will get `interesting' rather quickly.

Plus your parents/spouse/kids can use them with just about no support.

I have to disagree here.  *I* can't use Apple stuff.  I simply do not
grok the way they do things,

Hear hear!
My wife uses a linux laptop as her main computer. She uses my tablet just fine, as do my 8 and 3 yr old nephews.

This group has done an incredible job not giving into OS Wars. It's almost disappointing :)

--
-----
the new home of ThermionicEmissions - the blog