Douglas Muth on 8 Jul 2012 09:59:22 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Registrar recommendations

On Sat, Jul 7, 2012 at 9:14 PM, John Karr <brainbuz@brainbuz.org> wrote:
> I'm looking for a new registrar.
>
> I love and hate godaddy. Godaddy just auto-renewed a $13 certificate at $49
> (because the $13 certificate is a promotion for the same product, even if it
> is always available to anyone who asks). I was able to sort it out with
> customer support (which for their prices godaddy have excellent support),
> but the auto-renew thing has been a nuisance with them before and difference
> between the when you buy and the when you renew price isn't pretty.

If you require registration and SSL certs from the same place, you're
going to miss out on some good companies that way.  There's no real
technical reason why this is necessary, anyway.

For registration, I use NearlyFreeSpeech:
http://www.NearlyFreeSpeech.net/  As the name implies, they believe in
freedom of expression, which means they won't do things like hold your
domain hostage over a single complaint. (*coughGoDaddycough*)

For SSL certificates, I use http://www.instantssl.com/.  They offer a
free trial certificate that you can use right away. that's quite
useful.

-- Doug