John Karr on 7 Jul 2012 18:15:05 -0700

[PLUG] Registrar recommendations

I'm looking for a new registrar.

I love and hate godaddy. Godaddy just auto-renewed a $13 certificate at $49
(because the $13 certificate is a promotion for the same product, even if it
is always available to anyone who asks). I was able to sort it out with
customer support (which for their prices godaddy have excellent support),
but the auto-renew thing has been a nuisance with them before and difference
between the when you buy and the when you renew price isn't pretty.

I need a no bs reseller of domain names and certificates. They don't have to
be cheapest but they have to:
	Have good prices for both certificates and domains (godaddy).
	Not enroll your assets in auto renew for you.
	Have good customer support (godaddy does an excellent job of having
an English speaking person answer the phone when you call them).
	Have an easy to use interface (I feel like an epileptic rat in a
maze trying to use godaddy's site) providing coherent management of Domains,
DNS, and Certificates.

I had been using Joker but they failed me on two fronts, one is they no
longer respond to support emails (big suck) and 2 is they don't sell
certificates (need someplace else to buy them). I had been recommended to
EasyDNS but their cheapest certificate is $99. I was looking at namecheap,
but I don't know anyone who uses them.