Rich Freeman on 11 Jul 2012 08:21:40 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Android-further

On Wed, Jul 11, 2012 at 11:13 AM, Conor Schaefer
<conor.schaefer@gmail.com> wrote:
> September 20, 2012 would be the 4 year anniversary of Android's first
> release, at least according to Wikipedia.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android_%28operating_system%29

>From the same site:

On November 5, 2007, the Open Handset Alliance, a consortium of
several companies which include Broadcom Corporation, Google, HTC,
Intel, LG, Marvell Technology Group, Motorola, Nvidia, Qualcomm,
Samsung Electronics, Sprint Nextel, T-Mobile and Texas Instruments
unveiled itself. The goal of the Open Handset Alliance is to develop
open standards for mobile devices.[9] On the same day, the Open
Handset Alliance also unveiled their first product, Android, a mobile
device platform built on the Linux kernel version 2.6.[9]

Obviously no phone was available yet, but I think this is the date
they're focusing on.  Android was released in 2007, even if it only
ran in an emulator.

> And Google just released the Nexus 7 and the Nexus Q, not long after the
> Galaxy Nexus—certainly well before the usual winter release period that the
> Nexus One, Nexus S, and Galaxy Nexus adhered to. Not confident we're going
> to get another deluge like that before the holiday season, but here's
> hoping.

I'm sure we'll see at least one new phone - the Galaxy Nexus will be
more than a year old in November, and Google releases new phones at
least annually of late.

Most of the rumors are for multiple phone releases, but who knows - we
already do have multiple non-phone releases so maybe they'll just have
one.

In any case, my current phone works fine and I'm moving to an
unsubsidized plan.  I can't see spending $350 on a Galaxy Nexus when I
could probably get a newer nexus phone in the fall for $400 (the Nexus
phones tend to be pretty cheap - they're just not subsidized).  I
defintely won't be paying $600 for an HTC One in light of these
upcoming releases, when my HTC Desire Z works fine.

Rich