Rich Freeman on 12 Jul 2012 06:39:29 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Linux upgrade issues

On Thu, Jul 12, 2012 at 9:29 AM, Eric at Lucii.org <eric@lucii.org> wrote:
> Memory test is fine - as far as I can tell.
> The BIOS POST screen shows:  3072MB OK (Installed Memory Size: 4096MB)
> Mem test shows:  Memory   :  3071M  1471  MB/s

What did you do to test it?  Did you run memtest86 or something
similar for an extended period of time?  Definitely don't trust the
BIOS - that does minimal checking.

> I'm beginning to think that a new mobo+processor+RAM infusion will
> solve this.

That's a definite maybe.  You might want to at least post the content
of a ps -eal or a cat /proc/meminfo before you go buying new hardware.
 Hardware issues can lead to some really glitchy behavior, but I'm not
convinced that is what you have going on.

If you just had some process with a massive memory leak that would
explain this whole thing, and fixing that is as simple as a kill
command, and then figuring out where it came from to fix it.

Rich