Gary Duzan on 23 Jul 2012 03:11:38 -0700

Re: [PLUG] DCAnet dropping DSL

In Message <Pine.LNX.4.33.1207230156390.22521-100000@bridget.crompton.com>,
   Doug Crompton <doug@crompton.com>wrote:

=>I received a surprizing but not totally unexpected letter from DCAnet that
=>effective October 1st they are dropping DSL services as Verizon is
=>dropping support and provisioning of DSL for them. It also goes on to
=>mention that this is in spite of their regulatory requirment to do so.
=>
=>I have been a longtime customer of DCAnet and they have been a good
=>provider all these years. For me it is a sad day and I need to decide in
=>what direction I am going to go. Not that there is much choice!
=>
=>I have run my own domains and Linux server (mail, web, DNS, etc.) since
=>the early 90's. DCAnet supplied static IP's and very reliable
=>connectivity.
=>
=>I am curious if ther are others out there that still like to do there own
=>thing or is this now a thing of the past? I know I coud get static IP from
=>other providers and I could continue DSL from Verizon but the static IP
=>packages are very expensive. I do not need speed. My 4 Meg DSL has served
=>me well.
=>
=>I am sure there are other who have face or are facing this dilemma. Any
=>recomenations?

   Personally, I decided that the home network providers were
hostile enough to this sort of thing that I just went with a VPS.
Witha virtual private server, I get the whole OS to myself, can
upgrade the kernel, install whatever I want, etc. I do still have
a server at home, but that is mostly for doing backups and local
file service. I have an IPSEC over IPv6 tunnel between my VPS and
my home server for the backups and any other services I want to
redirect from the VPS. Verizon hasn't complained about this setup
yet.

   My provider is prgmr.com, which does Xen hosting, doesn't cost
too much, now provides IPv6 (though I'm still using my existing
HE tunnel), and doesn't assume you are stupid. Unfortunately, they
are in California, so the latency is kinda high, but it hasn't been
a serious issue yet.

   Good luck.

					Gary Duzan