Malcolm on 25 Jul 2012 09:01:28 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Backup drive filling up

On 2012-07-25 7:55 AM, Walt Mankowski wrote:
On Tue, Jul 24, 2012 at 07:21:11PM -0400, Carl Johnson wrote:
That would potentially give him two nearly full drives wouldn't it?

That, plus I think I can probably live with incrementals going back
just 2 years instead of 2 1/2 years.  The question is when I need
to start trimming old backups.

Out of curiosity, does anyone actually go back to backups that old to restore something? The only time I've needed prior versions of anything, or something deleted from the current copy, it's been code under version control.

I purge my rdiff-backup deltas whenever I get low on space on the backup drive (so I only have older stuff if I haven't been making many changes recently).