Rich Freeman on 25 Jul 2012 10:01:04 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Backup drive filling up

On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 12:01 PM, Malcolm
<mjhlists-plug-20080906@liminalflux.net> wrote:
> Out of curiosity, does anyone actually go back to backups that old to
> restore something? The only time I've needed prior versions of anything, or
> something deleted from the current copy, it's been code under version
> control.

As backups (and not as archives) generally the only issue is the risk
that you destroyed something valuable but don't realize it for a few
months/etc.

I keep a full backup, 8 weeks of weekly backups, and 7 days of daily backups.

There are clever schemes like Towers of Hanoi, but those usually are
efficient in regards to number of backup sets, and not so much in
terms of space use.  Since my backups are automated to S3, I could
care less if I have 100X1MB or 1x100MB in sets, so I use a simple
system.  Since dar/sarab is only additive I do a full reset every two
months so that as stuff comes out of my backed-up area (like photos
archived to DVD) I'm not constantly paying for storage online.

Rich