gary on 25 Jul 2012 10:01:29 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Backup drive filling up

=> Just curious,  if the db behind Bacula goes down or the director how do
=> you handle that?
=>
=> Lee

   Good question. The simple answer is "I don't know; I haven't been
through it." Following recommendations from the Bacula folks, I keep
the database separate from the backup files and include a full backup
of the database in my schedule. I assume there is a recovery process
that allows you to get the full database from a bootstrap database of
some kind. For my purposes I can handle the risk, so I've left sorting
out that process until the unlikely eventuality that I lose both my
main files and the database simultaneously.

                                   Gary Duzan

=>
=> gary@duzan.org wrote:
=>
=> =>
=> => Out of curiosity, does anyone actually go back to backups that old to
=> => restore something? The only time I've needed prior versions of
=> anything,
=> => or something deleted from the current copy, it's been code under
=> version
=> => control.
=> =>
=> => I purge my rdiff-backup deltas whenever I get low on space on the
=> backup
=> => drive (so I only have older stuff if I haven't been making many changes
=> => recently).
=>
=>    I use Bacula, and I have anything older than a few months purged
=> automatically as needed.
=>
=>                                    Gary Duzan
=>
=>
=>
=>