bergman on 25 Jul 2012 10:05:54 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Backup drive filling up

In the message dated: Wed, 25 Jul 2012 17:52:21 BST,
The pithy ruminations from Lee Marzke on
<Re: [PLUG] Backup drive filling up> were:
=> Just curious,  if the db behind Bacula goes down or the director how do you handle that?
=>

Um, you fix the problem & bring up the db or the director. :)

Did you have a specific question?

I've been using bacula for ~6 years. Those types of issues have come up, but
there's nothing unique here--in any system, if a required component goes down,
it must be fixed.

In my use of bacula, I prepare for those issues by:

	doing a database dump after all nightly backups are complete

	writing the dump to tape & keeping the dump file (several
	generations, actually) on disk

	writing bacula's "recovery" files (bsr) to disk after each
	client backup--this enables much faster recovery without
	the database

	copying those 'bsr' files to servers other-than-the-bacula-
	director after each nightly backup

Underlying the bacula-specific stuff are all the things one would normally do
to reduce the chance and duration of an outage:

	maintain all config files under revision control

	locating the servers in a climate controlled, access-controlled,
	monitored datacenter

	using dual power supplies

	using dual fibre connections to the storage

	running bacula on nodes within a RHCS cluster, to reduce the
	impact of the failure of a single machine

	having service contracts on the server hardware

	etc, etc, etc.

Mark

=> Lee
=>
=>
=>
=> --
=> Lee Marzke <Lee@Marzke.net> (Sent from Nexus 7 Tablet)
=>
=> gary@duzan.org wrote:
=>
=> =>
=> => Out of curiosity, does anyone actually go back to backups that old to
=> => restore something? The only time I've needed prior versions of anything,
=> => or something deleted from the current copy, it's been code under version
=> => control.
=> =>
=> => I purge my rdiff-backup deltas whenever I get low on space on the backup
=> => drive (so I only have older stuff if I haven't been making many changes
=> => recently).
=>
=>    I use Bacula, and I have anything older than a few months purged
=> automatically as needed.
=>
=>                                    Gary Duzan
=>
=>
=>
=> Philadelphia Linux Users Group         --        http://www.phillylinux.org