Rich Freeman on 12 Aug 2012 10:02:23 -0700

Re: [PLUG] race condition betwee modem and router

On Sun, Aug 12, 2012 at 10:08 AM, Doug <dsc3507@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Well the argument of that's the way cable is doesn't hack it because as I
> said it is not doing this when directly connected to a computer.

I think that the only way to be sure is to stick a hub or PC with dual
nics set to bridge in-between and then sniff the traffic.

It could be anything.  Maybe your router sends lots of keep-alives.
Maybe it does an ARP every five seconds.  Maybe it is trying to do BGP
or spanning tree or some other more router-oriented function.  Maybe
it is phoning home in case somebody from the NSA needs to snoop your
LAN.  No way to really know for sure.

There are any number of things a router might do that a more typical
PC might not, so it is hard to say what the issue is.

Rich