JP Vossen on 16 Aug 2012 11:52:30 -0700

[PLUG] Chef & CFEngine testing

Thanks to Kevin for his Chef testing preso at PLUG N the other day. Very cool stuff since Sanity Checks are always good.

I had brought my dead tree copy of _Learning CFEngine 3_ since that's the similar (non Ruby) tool I was interested in, and one of the questions was if there was a testing framework similar to what Kevin was talking about.

It turns out there is.  At the very end of the book, there is:

6. Advanced Topics
	[...]
	CFEngine Testing				147
		Behavior Testing for CFEngine Policies	147
		Unit Testing for CFEngine Policies	148

I do not yet have the experience with or knowledge of the products to say this for sure, but my other thought with CFEngine is that it makes multiple passes per run to try to bring the system into compliance, and that it will report if things don't converge, so if you actually look at the reports that's a sanity check right there. Separate tests are still good, if only to show that the converged result is what you actually intended. I'd image that Chef has similar reports, and Kevin's talk was on a Chef testing framework...

My interest in Chef is for management of lots of devices that do not have Internet access (long story). If/when I ever have time to really dive it and do anything with it, I'll do a preso.

Later,
JP