Rich Freeman on 24 Aug 2012 08:03:06 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Tried of Windows...

On Fri, Aug 24, 2012 at 10:35 AM, Sam Gleske <sam.mxracer@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 24, 2012 at 9:27 AM, Rich Freeman <r-plug@thefreemanclan.net> wrote:
>> Just a note - your "current" versions aren't really all that current.
>
> The point I was making is they're current enough to get the job done.

I'm not disputing that at all.  In fact, I don't believe I even
replied to your email.  If I wanted to dispute a point you raised I'd
have replied to your email and not gone up the thread.  :)

> That includes if you have a need to install other software that is
> current or bleeding edge.  Does it really matter that you're running
> 0.8.0.0.0.0.0.2 rather than 0.8.0.0.0.0.0.1?  I just look at it from a
> practical standpoint.  I agree with you that you should not run
> severely outdated software for security risks and other reasons.
> After all progression is good.  But the versions and reasons you've
> listed do not merit *not* using CentOS.  I've already proven that it's
> quite easy to build bleeding edge from source should you actually
> *need* it.  The versions listed are adequate enough to still be
> considered modern and not severely outdated.

I think the answer to that is a big "it depends."  Often older
software works just fine - especially for back-end stuff.  However, if
you need something newer you do want a distro that will support that.
If CentOS provides decent support for running newer non-default
options then I see no harm in that.  If I found myself running into
needing newer versions constantly that would bother me, but since I
don't use CentOS I can't vouch for whether that is the case.

> Gentoo is great, unless you have other hobbies.

Well, for me it is a hobby I suppose, but I know of many who use it in
production environments.  I think the right tool depends on how likely
you are to deviate from the well-beaten path.  If you deviate quite a
bit like I do, then having all your systems on the same distro has
value - I try to use Gentoo on devices even if a different distro
might work well on it just so that I don't have to have 47 different
ways of administering things.  One of the bigger pain points in my
house is MythTV because my set-top box isn't running Gentoo yet, which
greatly complicates upgrades (supported versions aren't in sync, etc).

On Fri, Aug 24, 2012 at 10:37 AM, Sam Gleske <sam.mxracer@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Just a note - your "current" versions aren't really all that current.
>
> Also did you not see my updated list for CentOS 6?

I did - I wasn't commenting at all on CentOS and whether it is
old/new/great/bad/etc.  I was just commenting that the value sin the
current column were not actually the latest available...

Rich