John BORIS on 3 Sep 2012 11:56:08 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Strange networking (or Verizon marketing) question.

eric,
That gets four noses on the pinocchio scale. I have been a nj verizon
customer since isdn days. Ran a wireless router for years on our dsl
connection. Also used my own router.  You have to remember that the
first level support probably gets a commission on getting upgrades. If I
remember correctly a consumer does not have to use the verizon modem so
it could be swapped out fo r a linksys (enter your favorite brand). I
think they ould just plug a wireless router into the dsl modem and set
it up. They would enter their login and password and it should work. To
verion it is just a device requesting an ip from their dhcp server.

Fios is a bit more complicated as the router they give you also handles
some sort of tv function. I amabout to see about using a different
wireless router at home as the one the provide doesn't have good signal
strength in my house. Good for security but a PIA when i want to use my
ipad in the back of the house.

John Boris