Eric H. Johnson on 3 Sep 2012 15:44:56 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Broken Ubuntu upgrade

Rich et al,

At this point I cannot even get to a command prompt, even in recovery mode.
So I bagged it and am re-installing from scratch.

Thanks everyone.

Regards,
Eric

Did you try just running X by itself?  From your shell, start screen.
Then type X - you should get an X server with a blank screen.  On mine the
mouse doesn't respond for some reason unless you actually attach a client.
So, hit ctrl-alt-F1 to get back to your shell (if it isn't on vt1, try
alt-F2 and so on until you find your shell).  Then open a new window within
screen and type "export DISPLAY=:0 ; xterm" and then hit
Alt-F2 and work your way up until you find your X session which should now
have a terminal in it (without window decorations).

You might also just try running startx, which might or might not be set up
on your distro.  However, that might try to start Gnome and such, and if
you're trying to troubleshoot just confirming that X11 is working might be
useful.

I'd check your logs to see what is going on, and then check your start up
scripts.  Nothing on Linux happens by magic - your kernel runs init, and
your init checks inittab (well, sysvinit does - no idea how Upstart works if
you have that), and then it is on from there.