JP Vossen on 18 Sep 2012 00:02:24 -0700

[PLUG] MythTV + HDHR3-CC + Comcast?

Last Fall I bought a 2 tuner HDHR3-US when Comcast switched me to all digital. That part of the conversion worked great with MythTV (the channel setup was a giant pain, which Matt helped me out with).

Now however, 2 tuners are not quite enough, as I'm getting a conflict. I could just live without the conflicting show, I could buy another HDHR3-US for $82 [1], or I could buy a HDHR3-CC for $150 until 2012-09-21 [2]. While more expensive, the HDHR3-CC has both 3 tuners and is cable-card ready.

1) Does that Just Work with Mythbuntu 10.04LTS (yes, 10.04, not upgraded yet, so mythtv-0.23.0+fixes24158-0ubuntu2)?

2) Is the cable-card part worth it? Does that actually work with Myth and Comcast (or FiOS)? I don't actually care at the moment, but you never know...

3) I guess I could also try old-school over-the-air (OtA), but that requires an antenna and still needs a tuner to plug that into, so to a certain extent I'm back where I started, right? Or am I missing something really obvious?

Anything else I'm not thinking of?

As I write and re-read this, it really seems like it makes the most sense to just bite the bullet and buy the $150 HDHR3-CC. And I suppose that frees up the original HDHR3-US tuner for OtA if/when I get around to it?

Thoughts?
JP

[1] http://www.amazon.com/SiliconDust-HDHomeRun-Definition-Television-HDHR3-US/dp/B004HO58SO/ [2] http://www.amazon.com/SiliconDust-HDHR3-CC-HDHomeRun-CableCARD-tuners/dp/B004HKIB6E/