Walt Mankowski on 19 Sep 2012 09:52:35 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Upcoming December talk

On Wed, Sep 19, 2012 at 11:14:34AM -0400, Isaac Bennetch wrote:
> But, since no one else has responded, either, I might as well. Plus,
> the math+chaps joke[1] improved my morning, so here you go. Speaking
> only for myself, I'm interested in Perl, I've even written some, but
> advanced topics might be over my head. I'd be interested in hearing
> about how you used an advanced feature to save yourself 100 lines of
> code, or what new features on the horizon could make my life easier.
> I use git, but I haven't adjusted well, so I'd be very interested in
> hearing how you make it conform to your workflow and what that looks
> like. I don't enjoy math at all (do not get me started on "i"), so
> if you start talking about complex math, my eyes will glaze over and
> I'll do my best to feign interest while asking on IRC for waltman to
> explain in little tiny words what you mean :)

i is one of the most brilliant concepts ever to make its way into
mainstream mathematics. :)

I think a talk on some of the cool new features that have been added
to the Perl code since 5.10 would be great.  Here are some Linux
internals topics that I'd love for you (or anyone else!) to talk about:

* bufferbloat

  ESR talked about it a little last time, but something going into
  more depth on what it is and how to tune your system would be great.

* virtual memory

  What is it? How does it work? How much swap space do you need these
  days? Do you need *any* swap space these days?

Walt